Friday, January 14, 2005

Payola/Plugola = your mom was right. You know the difference between right and wrong.

www.allaccess.com 's Joel Denver and also www.radioandrecords.com's Kevin Carter both have now heard from former WKSE (KISS 98.5)/BUFFALO PD DAVE UNIVERSAL, who was the subject of a NEW YORK TIMES article yesterday (NET NEWS 1/12), surrounding his exit from the station: "I wanted to respond to the NY TIMES piece printed yesterday. Concerning the MIAMI trip in the article. I hung out with a VP of promotion -- who I will not name -- for most of that weekend. Clubs, the BILLS-DOLPHINS game, etc. Was that a personal trip? Did I fly to NYC several times a year to see YANKEE games? Yes, I did! Every rep I went with I consider a friend, and were YANKEE fans too. Rather than do a dinner that might cost a thousand dollars, we'd watch a game and eat chicken fingers. Did I go to other sporting events a few times a year with other reps? Yes, I did! I had great relationships with most of my reps, but even better one's with those who liked sports like me. NEVER were these trips based on any kind of airplay.

"ENTERCOM and my GM knew that I occasionally went with record reps to various sporting events to build relationships. Never once was I told not to do this. A convention? I went. An artist showcase in a warm city? You bet I was there! At some radio chains, I realize this is not allowed, and if I was ever to work for them, I would follow all their rules and policies. But, in my position, I was told if I was with a rep, it was ok.

"Nobody questioned how my relationships were fostered when ENTERCOM was making millions of dollars because of them. How did I spend $60 grand putting together a radio show that would make $500 (grand)? Relationships. I had them, and was encouraged to keep them.

"I acted as the `Indie' for WKSE for the last 7 years. Unfortunately for me, I did my job in that area too well. With all that's going on in the STATE OF NEW YORK, it was easier for them to get rid of me, than defend how I did business for them. I believe they will come to see this was not the right thing to do."

UNIVERSAL concluded, "There are a lot worse things going on in the world right now than me being out of work, and training my 1 year old to be the next great YANKEE is really fun. But, I know I'm a very good PD, and I hope to be given a chance to prove that soon."

ENTERCOM has declined to comment on DAVE's statement.

EDITORIAL COMMENT FROM Jaye@radioconsult.com: This defense sounds about as convincing as Charles Graner's. Maybe both Graner and Universal do have grounds for a lawsuit against their superiors if what they are representing is true, but nothing 'bad' would have happened in the first place if they'd simply said NO to the temptation to do things somewhere deep inside they HAD to know was beyond the pale. Be smart. Read the payola/plugola rules. Do the right thing. Keep your job.

No comments: