Friday, June 06, 2008

Berra On Business


A fun read, full of business wisdom: Yogi uses examples from his life and career to inspire people to make the right choices and become not only better team players, but better people. With the down-to-earth wit and insight that Yogi fans love, "You Can Observe a Lot by Watching."

"I see pitchers overanalyzing everything. I see them shake signs because they’re overthinking or not trusting the catcher. I see unnecessary uncertainty, something you don ’t need. Look, the pitcher - catcher relationship is the most important in the game. It ’s almost like a marriage, or like beer and pretzels. It just has to be together, or it won’t be. I always wanted my pitcher to believe that everything I did, every little detail or fact I stored in my head, was for the pitcher’s own good. Heck, we had the advantage — two guys trying to get one man out. If I knew my business, I figured we were in business and my job was to get the pitcher to do his job. When Allie Reynolds threw two no-hitters in 1951, that’s as good as you can do, but he wouldn’t take the credit; he told everyone I was the one who did the thinking for him. That in a nutshell was the kind of team we had. Nobody gloried in individual achievements."

Read Excerpt: Chapter (PDF)

No comments: