Monday, January 25, 2010

Taking Attendance In Baltimore

George Strait and Reba kicked off their co-headlining arena tour with Lee Ann Womack Friday night in Baltimore.

A Washington Post photographer and of course radio was there, but didn't any of the local papers or TV stations send a music reviewer? I guess that means they knew it would be a great show.

Many people may think this is the first time the superstars have toured together, but they actually shared the stage in the early 1980s, opening for Conway Twitty. We asked Reba what she remembers about that early tour together. “The first time George and I toured together was in the early 80s, opening the show for Conway Twitty,” notes Reba. “One weekend of the tour, I had flown into the city we were playing instead of riding the bus with the band and crew. I got a call from my tour manager and he said the bus had broken down and they were renting a school bus to get to the show. I asked them to be sure and get me an outfit out of my stateroom so I’d have something to wear at the concert that night. When we all met up at the show, they had gotten all the equipment, band gear, everything they needed to put on a show…except an outfit for me! I had to wear the same clothes I had flown in all day! George invited me to ride on his bus the next day. I sure enjoyed visiting with George and his group.” Needless to say, thankfully, Reba’s not having to worry about a bus breakdown this time around! -John Zarling, Valory Music Co.

1 comment:

Country Aircheck said...

Country fans in Baltimore were the first to see the highly anticipated George Strait and Reba tour, and by all accounts they were not disappointed. Highlights included a duet between Reba and opener Lee Ann Womack on "Does He Love You" and Reba's grand entrance in a taxi prior to "Fancy." One fan tells us, "This was a storied prop, as Reba later explained. It was a part of her show years ago, but was retired and sent to Vegas. When the idea surfaced to revive the taxi, they went and bought back the same one!" As for Strait, our observer says he just can't go wrong. "Where other shows and performers are judged on how dynamic their stage show is, George's class outweighs all of that glitz. You don't go to a Strait concert for anything other than great country music."