Thursday, July 07, 2011

Enduring Guidance

"Relate to your listeners and their "family" or "patriotic" values, but I'd also add my belief in not just reflecting values on-air, but in becoming directly involved in listener's lives. Creating situations wherein you can share and experience those values with them - and wherein you can help them to do the things they want to do. Things like being with their families, helping others, participating in the events they participate in, creating new events to participate in (both on-air and off), and just plain old having fun. That kind of involvement creates a new kind of loyalty and commitment to the station, and substantial top-of-the-mind awareness. You'll go from being a source of music and fun to becoming "friends and family" with your listeners."

There's a reason why Dave Broman has been PD at Citadel's WWKI/Kokomo for 25 years. He explained to me that this was his programming philosophy back when I worked with him in the '80's and '90's.

I wrote it down back then and have never forgotten it.

Trust me. I've used it over and over and it always works.

Pass it on.

No comments: