Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The Best Mechanics Own Their Own Tools

Cat Country 98-7/Pensacola afternoon guy Captain Chris, I learned the other day, pays out of his own pocket for his very own talent coach/consultant to his show, even though A&O works for the station.

I have long been impressed by his on air content and production, and now I know why.

Some garages do buy tools for their mechanics, but most mechanics provide their own tools.

No mechanic would try to work on your car without tools, but it never ceases to amaze me how many air personalities refuse to get prep help simply because of the excuse 'the station owner won't buy it.'

Be entrepreneurial. If you don't invest in self-improvement, who will?

2 comments:

Steve said...

Great insight Jaye. The turning point in my career was when I paid, out of my own pocket, to attend a Jay Trachman personality radio seminar in Toronto in 1991. I can trace my current success back to that weekend.

Ironically, those that see their career as a craft and invest their own money it it, eventually find themselves working for like-minded companies who are willing to invest as well. And it gets magical when everyone has some skin in the game.

Mike Stern said...

Jaye:

Great post.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's stunning that more talent won't invest in their own career.

Of course, I'm the guy who's coaching Chris so I'm a little bit biased. :)

Thanks

Mike Stern
Founder
Talent Mechanic