Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hey, Bill, Take Me Off Your List

Look what came in my mail yesterday:


As much as I appreciate the dollar, I am not going to keep it. 

I'll tell your folks when they call to find out how many people live in my household and our ages about my media affiliation, of course.  But, that isn't why I want you to remove me from your list.  After all, getting the PPM equipment would actually be a lot of fun for me and the other folks who live in my home.

Here's the real disqualifier:  I am going to be 70 years old next July.  There's actually no one living at my address who is under 60.

Please, Arbitron and Nielsen, stop wasting fielding dollars on placing your diaries and meters with folks like me and my family.

Sure, we love participating.  We're easy to reach.  We have landline phones.

Stop spending any money to pick such low-hanging fruit.  Work, instead, on getting better sample proportionality month after month with the decision demos that drive radio and TV revenues.

Please take people like me off your radar and focus all of your bucks on improving the sample size in the narrow demos media buyers care about:  18-34, 25-34, 35-44 and 45-54, both men and women and all ethnicities within 10% or less of their proportion to the total population.

No comments: